Membership is an extremely important subject for any church, and Poplar Springs is no exception.
WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A MEMBER...
Here are 7 descriptions of what it means to be a member at PSBC.
1. They have been gloriously SAVED by Christ.
Ø Acts 2:40-47 - "So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added .... And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved"
Ø The church is comprised of those who have repented of their sins and by faith trusted in Jesus as Savior and Lord.
2. They are passionately STRIVING for holiness.
Ø 1 Pet. 1:15-16 - "but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."
ØThis does not imply perfection, but rather that as a follower of Christ we are seeking to grow in our Christ-likeness by battling against sin in our lives.
3. They are faithfully SHOWING up to Church.
Ø Heb. 10:23-25 - "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."
4. They are generously SUPPORTING the Church.
Ø Regularly, Collectively, Proportionately (1 Cor. 16:2)
Ø Generously (2 Cor. 8:2-3; 2 Cor. 9:6-8)
Ø Worshipfully (2 Cor. 8:5)
Ø Eagerly (2 Cor. 9:2)
Ø Cheerfully (2 Cor. 9:7)
5. They are regularly SERVING at Church.
Ø Rom. 12:6 - "Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith"
Ø Using the gifts that God has given you, to minister and edify.
6. They are openly SHARING their faith.
Ø Matt. 28:18-20 - "Go [as you are going] therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
7. They are humbly SUBMITTING to others.
Ø Eph. 5:21, 24 - "submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ...Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands."
Ø Heb. 13:17 - "Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you."
HOW DO YOU BECOME A MEMBER...
Becoming a member of PSBC starts really simple by coming to some of our worship services and gatherings. We encourage you to explore the mission and ministries of PSBC and prayerfully consider if God would have you become part of the faith family.
PSBC receives members into its fellowship in three possible ways...
1. Through Salvation - PSBC is a body of believers made up of those who have in faith and repentance surrendered their lives to Jesus Christ and been baptized. If you are not a follower of Christ, we would love to speak to you personally about what it means to be one. This is the most important decision you could ever make.
2. By Statement of faith - If you are follower of Christ who has been baptized but a letter of transfer from your previous church cannot be secured you may join based upon your statement that you have been baptized by immersion as a result of having received Christ as your personal Savior. If you have not been baptized by immersion, you can experience this beautiful, public symbol of your faith in Jesus Christ.
3. Transfer from another church - You may join our church by simply requesting that we write a letter to your current church informing them that you have joined PSBC. If you have already been baptized by immersion after placing your faith in Jesus Christ, you will not need to be baptized again.
At the close of every service a hymn of decision is sung. Simply come forward and share your desire with the pastor during this hymn.
More information about the Mission, Ministries, and Memberhsip of PSBC is offered in our "DISCOVER" Class. The class is taught over two Sundays during Sunday School and held at various times throughout the year. The class is required for all new members. If you are interested in attending the next class please contact the church office.